Early Childhood at SMCS
The SMCS Early Childhood Program provides a Catholic environment and fosters positive values and attitudes. Warm and engaging teachers nurture the spiritual, emotional, intellectual, social and physical developmental growth of each young child.
Our teachers cultivate each child’s natural curiosity for learning and encourage self-motivation and independence, promoting an awareness and acceptance of each person’s uniqueness. A positive self-image is developed through recognizing God’s many gifts and the talents of every child.
Partnering with Families
We believe that communication and cooperation with parents and families build a positive foundation for school and learning. Your child will experience the consistency of morals and values based in the Catholic tradition. Our teachers promote strong communication between school and home. Parent/teacher conferences are offered mid-fall and early spring for all preschool and 4K students. Parents may request a conference with teachers at any time throughout the year.
Flexibility in Scheduling
Our programs allow for flexibility to meet the needs of each individual family. Our administrators and staff will work with you to determine the programs and schedule that work best for your child and your family.
Our Early Childhood Programs are housed in the SMCS Elementary Schools. Students have access to outdoor playgrounds, school libraries, updated technology, school gyms, older student role models and a secure environment. To maintain a safe environment for every child and allow easy access for families, all school entrances are locked and have security systems that allow visitors and guests’ admission into the buildings.
- Nurture a child’s faith by modeling Catholic values
- Develop self-esteem through encouragement
- Encourage social development as children interact in both small group and large group activities
- Prepare children for kindergarten
- Provide respectful, loving guidance that will enable the child to develop self-control
- Foster creativity and caring through imaginative play, problem solving activities, music activities and art projects
- Faith development is nurtured by modeling Catholic values
- Self-esteem and feelings of inclusion and self-worth are fostered by building class cooperation and respect
- Physical coordination and control are developed through large and small motor activities
- Reading readiness and the related skills of learning, speaking and writing are integrated daily
- Mathematics readiness and the related skills of geometry are nurtured through observations, discovery activities, concrete experiences and playful creativity
- Self-awareness, science and observation are explored and nurtured through hands-on learning
- Field trips are planned to expand the curriculum beyond the school walls
- Social skills, cooperation, manners and respect for others are incorporated into the classroom environment and daily expectations
- Holidays, traditions and different cultures are taught and celebrated
Programs & Information
- All programs require a minimum of eight students be registered by August 1
- Tuition & Registration Information
This program is intended for 3-year-old children who are toilet-trained and is offered from 8:00 am to 11:00 am. This program is offered in a three- or five-days per week format. Children must have turned three years old by September 1 of the year admitted. Enrollment is open year round until maximum number of students is reached.
4K (Four-Year Old Kindergarten) Half Day
This program is intended for four and five year old children who will be going into kindergarten the following year and is offered from 8:00 am to 11:00 am. This program is offered in a three- or five-days per week format. Children must have turned four years old by September 1 of the year admitted. Enrollment is open year round until maximum number of students is reached.
4K (Four-Year Old Kindergarten) Full Day
This program is intended for four and five year old children who will be going into kindergarten the following year and is offered from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm. This program is offered in a three- or five-days per week format. Children enrolled in full day 4K will participate in an additional daily lesson – art, music, physical education, or library. Children must have turned four years old by September 1 of the year admitted. Enrollment is open year round until maximum number of students is reached.
Extended Learning/Enrichment Classes
The extended learning program is available at every campus for families who would like additional educational opportunities after regular classes. Extended learning is available from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm during the school year and follows the school calendar. Lunch is available through the food service program for an additional charge. Families may also take advantage of the early childhood enrichment program activities for an additional fee.
This elementary program is available to families who would like additional childcare when the elementary school is dismissed until approximately 5:30 pm This program is available to preschoolers at the discretion of the building principal.
Each day the school buildings are open at 7:15 am for child drop-off. Teachers and staff supervise the students until classes begin at 8:00 am There is no charge for this service.
Wisconsin state law requires that all two- to four-year olds entering preschool shall have received the following immunizations:
- 4 DTaP (or DT or DTP)
- 3 Hepatitis B
- 1 MMR
- 3 Polio (IPV or OPV)
- 1 Varicella (or history of chicken pox disease)
- A yearly exam by a health professional is recommended.