SMCHS offers a four year, eight semester program. A St. Mary Catholic graduating student will be awarded a diploma when 27.5 credits have been earned. Of these 27.5 credits, 20.0 are required and 7.5 are elective courses.
Graduating students are required to have taken the following minimum courses:
- Electives – 7.5 credits
- English – 4.0 credits
- Theology – 4.0 credits
- Mathematics – 3.0 credits
- Science – 3.0 credits
- Social Studies – 3.0 credits
- Physical Education – 1.5 credits
- Fine Arts – .5 credits
- Health – .5 credits
- Computer-Based Instruction – .5 credits
College Preparatory Recommendations
The guidance office recommends that students take the following courses to prepare for college admission:
- English – 4 credits
- Math (algebra, geometry, advanced algebra, trigonometry and pre-calculus) – 4 credits
- Science (earth science, biology, chemistry or physics) – 4 credits
- Social Studies – 4 credits
- Other academic electives (computer-based instruction, English, fine arts, math, science, social studies, world languages) – 4 credits
- World languages – 2+ credits
Admission to a college or university is competitive. School are becoming more and more selective. Students with the strongest qualifications, including the number of courses taken and the rigor of the academic program (honors and AP courses, etc.), have the greatest chance of admission.
Refer to the 2017-18 course selection guide for details.