The 2018 SMCS STEM Club “FLY IN”
Hosted by the SMCS STEM Club, the “FLY IN” is an event to encourage STEM and aviation educations to young people through hands-on and fun flight related activities. Registration is now closed.
Some excitement for this year includes:
This year’s FLY IN is scheduled to include a ThedaStar medical transport helicopter “fly over” piloted by SMCS parent Captain Dan Unruh!
* Learn About the Physics of Flight
* Operating the RC Flight Simulators
* Piloting Camera Drones
* Pilot a High Performance Racing Drone
* Launching ESTES “HOT” and Pneumatic Rockets
* Rocket Golf
* Flying Kites
* Throw Gliders
Team 1050C –Zephyr Bots, finished 6th in the Finals Matches and qualified for the State Tournament with a second place award at the McFarland Tournament. They rank 12th in the Global Skills Challenge for the Wisconsin Region out of 26 elementary teams.
Team 1050D–Wisconsin Boys, qualified for the State Tournament with a Design Award at the Fox Valley Lutheran Tournament and ranked 9th in the Global Skills Challenge for the Wisconsin Region out of 26 elementary teams in the state.
Middle School & High School
SMCMS VEXIQ Robotics
Team 1050B — Zeyphyr Power, and Team 1050Z The Destroyers, qualified for the State Tournament with their World Skills ranking.
Team 1050A — BOT-ANY, qualified for State when they won the Design Award at the McFarland Tournament. At the State Tournament they won the STEM Research Award. This award qualifies them to compete at the VEXIQ Robotics World Championship in Louisville, Kentucky April 29 – May 1. In addition, BOT-ANY tied for 2nd place in the Driver skills/programming category and came in 4th in the teamwork challenge.
SMCMS VEX VRC Robotics
Team 1200 E — Calculated Error, made it to the semifinals of the Middle School VEX VRC tournament as part of the 2nd Alliance. They also won the Amaze Award. Their season isn’t over as they are going to the U.S. Open VEX VRC competition in Council Bluffs, Iowa April 5-7th, 2018.
SMCHS VEX VRC Robotics
All 3 High School Teams were selected to compete in the elimination rounds within the 2018 Wisconsin VEX VRC High School State Championship. The High School teams are as follows:
- Team 1200C was selected to participate with the 7th Team Alliance and they made it to the Quarter Finals.
- Team 1200D was selected as the 6th Team Alliance, they made to final elimination matches, completed as Tournament Finalists and won the Tournament Finalist Award.
- Team 1200Z was selected to participate with the 5th Team Alliance and they made to the Semi-Finals.
- Team 1200Z won the Design Award which qualified them to participate in the 2018 VEX Robotics Worlds Championship in Louisville, KY, April 25-28, 2018.
Good luck to Teams 1200E and 1200Z who will compete in the CREATE U.S. Open Robotics Competition in Council Bluffs, Iowa, April 5th -7th, 2018 as well as Teams 1050A and 1200Z at the 2018 Vex Robotics Championship in Louisville, Kentucky April 25-28, 2018.
View the SMCS STEM Club webpage archives for details about the 2017 season.