Traditionally, people think of planned gifts as estate planning. While that is one option, there are many other ways for you to make a lasting gift that will sustain SMCS well into the future. Consider:
- Wills, Trusts or Bequests: When you designate a gift for SMCS, whether a set amount, a percentage of your estate or property, or the residual amount, this strategy can reduce or eliminate estate taxes.
- Life Insurance: By assigning SMCS as a beneficiary on your life insurance policy, annuity, IRA, CD, bank account or other assets, you can earn tax benefits today and considerable savings in the future.
- Retirement Plans: Amounts withdrawn from retirement accounts can be taxable to you and your heirs. Enjoy little or no tax penalties with an offsetting charitable deduction to benefit SMCS.
- Cash: Through checks and electronic transfers, gifts of cash to SMCS outside of an IRA are not limited, and can reduce income tax liability. IRA gifts have generous limits.
- Securities/Stocks: SMCS can accept gifts of stocks or bonds for which you will pay no capital gains tax. The current market value determines the value of your gift.
- Birthday/Anniversary/Death Commemorations: Consider marking life’s milestones by giving gifts that benefit SMCS endowments, special projects or tuition assistance. Often, families suggest that a donation be made to SMCS instead of gifts or memorials.
- Charitable Gift Annuity: When you make a gift of cash or securities in exchange for guaranteed payments for life, the remainder of your gift will be used to benefit SMCS after your passing.
- IRA Charitable Rollover: By designating SMCS as the beneficiary of your IRA , the full value of the gift is transferred tax-free at your death, and your estate receives a charitable deduction rather than having the account depleted through estate and income taxes.
There are more than 40 endowed accounts that sustain SMCS operations, tuition assistance, faculty salaries and training. The SMCS Foundation also has four endowed restricted funds that specifically benefit technology, athletics, emerging educators and fine arts.
If you have any questions or to discuss further giving opportunities, please contact Sarah Graper,
Director of Development at 920.722.7796 ext 201.