Emergency School Closings and Delays
Living in Wisconsin, it is inevitable that we sometimes experience delays or cancellations due to weather. Sometimes weather conditions change quickly, and our decisions are made accordingly. Please note that it is St. Mary Catholic Schools’ policy that if either the Neenah or Menasha public school district is delayed or closed due to weather, SMCS follows suit.
As soon as a delay or cancellation is determined, the information is posted on our Facebook page and the SMCS website, and local TV and radio stations are alerted. It is also sent directly to the phones of people who have signed up for our emergency notification system either as a push notification or a text message (see below for the sign-up instructions*).
We do our best to notify SMCS families and employees immediately when cancellations or delays are determined, but please understand that we do not have control over how quickly a TV or radio station gets the information worked into their own notification systems. You can prevent being unpleasantly surprised by a change in schedule by doing the following:
- Be aware of potential weather conditions that may impact the next day’s school schedule, such as an expected sustained wind chill factor of approximately -35 degrees, icy conditions or significant snowfall.
- Sign up for the SMCS emergency notification system.
- Check the SMCS Facebook page.
- Check the SMCS website.
- Check with another SMCS parent or employee.
- Check on multiple radio or TV stations if you don’t see/hear it on the first one; if we are not listed, check to see if anything is listed for Neenah or Menasha schools.
- The stations we contact are:
WBAY – Ch. 2 WIXX – 101.1 FM
WFRV – Ch. 5 WNCY – 100.3 FM
FOX – Ch. 11 All other area Midwest Communications affiliates
WGBA – Ch. 26
If you cannot find anything posted for SMCS, Neenah or Menasha schools, SMCS is operating on a normal schedule.
While inconvenient for all of us, being unprepared for a delay or cancellation can be of great concern for families with younger children. If you have a child in elementary school, please be extra vigilant about keeping yourself informed, and be aware of the following:
- A school delay or cancellation is a delay or cancellation for everyone, not just students. Please do not assume that the school building will be open or that there will be an employee present at the school building to supervise your child before the designated start time.
- A delay is a delay in the start of the school day. Even if a school normally provides before-school care, it will not be available on days with an unplanned late start. All students should arrive at the designated time.
- If your child rides a bus to school, please be especially mindful of potential delays on days when either Neenah or Menasha has a late start and the other does not. Although we do contact the bus companies that serve SMCS families in the event of delay or cancellation, the message that SMCS students should not be picked up does not always make it through to the drivers.
Please be assured that we are cognizant of the difficulties that an unexpected change of schedule can present, but the safety and well being of our students and staff is our top priority. We make every effort to let you know immediately when a decision to delay or cancel school is made, so please make note of the multiple venues we use to get the message out, and check them if the weather or temperature seems questionable.
* You may subscribe, at no cost, to the SMCS emergency alert system by doing one of the following:
-If you have a smartphone, get push notifications by opening your web browser to download the mobile app.
-If you prefer a text notification, send the message @9fg97 to the number 81010 on your phone. If that does not work, text that message to 920-933-1015.